Alpha Assembly Solutions, company specialized in the production of electronic soldering and bonding materials, has recently introduced ALPHA OM-355, designed specifically for vacuum soldering applications.
“In-line vacuum soldering capabilities are becoming more common as power density increases on BGAs and as BTC component packages require effective heat dissipation through void reduction”, said Paul Salerno, Global Portfolio Manager for SMT Solutions at Alpha Assembly Solutions. “This solder paste has an activator system that is optimized for the vacuum soldering reflow process to control the rate of volatilization and reduction in surface tension which allows voids to escape under reducing atmosphere. This promotes ultra-low voiding below 5% without the post-reflow defects commonly associated with vacuum soldering”.
Part of Alpha’s Void Reduction Solutions, ALPHA OM-355 is compatible with SAC305, Innolot and MAXREL Plus alloys. The ALPHA OM-355 MAXREL Plus solder paste is intended for final assemblies in automotive, defense, aerospace, telecommunications, or any device requiring power management and high reliability.
• Ultra-Low Voiding Performance: Improves heat dissipation as power densities increase on large area components such as BGA and BTC packages.
• Excellent Random Solder Ball and Spatter Performance: Addresses common vacuum soldering defects to minimize rework and improve first pass yield.
• Minimizes Solder Bridging Defects: Maintains electrical continuity post vacuum reflow on high density PCBs requiring large solder volume.
• Good Coalescence and Wetting Performance: Coalesces down to 170 µm with 4 mil stencil exhibiting good wetting characteristics and solder joint reliability.
• Long, Stable Tack Force Life: Promotes high pick-and-place yields and good self-alignment to minimize rework prior to reflow.
• Good Electromigration Characteristics: Passes JIS-Z-3197-1999: 8.3 to ensure electrical reliability & functionality.
• Zero-Halogen, No Halogens Intentionally Added: Ensures ROHS compliance for a safe and environmentally friendly assembly process.